Anyway, I’m here to post the project that I’m currently selling on Etsy. There will be more added as soon as summer is over (for those who don’t know, I’m enrolled in an intensive Filipino course for the next several weeks). I got the idea after seeing some 2-D versions of the piranha plant done with perler beads. I wanted to make plants that I could display on a shelf as freestanding objects. As a result…these puppies were born!
From left to right: Piranha plant, nipper plant, fire flower. Original designs by Nintendo.
Who doesn’t love Super Mario Bros.?! These pieces are made using perler beads in order to recreate the pixel design from the original games. The pots are made of terracotta, and hand painted. Lightweight clay is used to provide a sturdy base for the plants.
Oh yes, you read that correctly. So decadent…
I discovered this marvelous treat while browsing foodgawker (enter at your own risk–seriously! so addictive!). And unfortunately, I suffer from a lack of impulse control, so even before I finished reading the recipe I had already printed it out. I’m a froyo-obsessed yuppie, so realizing how cheap it is to DIY makes my heart sing! The dulce de leche lends a sweet caramel flavor that balances perfectly with the tartness of the yogurt.
Read on to find out how it’s made…
For AGES I intended to make a blog devoted solely to my craft and food related adventures. The semester ended yesterday so I decided it’s time to make things a reality!
That said…you’re not getting anything shiny or new in this post. But I’m still very proud of this project so naturally it’s the first thing I’ll share! It has been featured in both Sprite Stitch (an AWESOME video game craft blog) and Nintendo Power magazine. AWWWWW YEAH.
I started this project in 2007 (I can’t believe it’s already been four years!) for my wonderful fiance’s Christmas gift. It…uh…wasn’t completed until July 2010. He’s a lamb for being so patient, and even helping me construct his own gift!
Anyway, I chose this project knowing he’s a big fan of Mega Man, and Nintendo in general. It’s constructed with Perler Beads and I used a foamcore backing for the black background. I’m happy I went with that decision, because 1)Less beads to arrange and 2)It adds some depth to the entire project. Several thousand beads and countless hours went into this.
Alright, enough tootin’ my horn. Thanks for reading!